Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Music You Should Listen To: Shivaree


Today I have chosen to highlight one of my favorite groups, a group that is widely unknown and unappreciated. Today, on an adventure to Newbury Comics I was lucky enough to score a copy of Shivaree's I Oughtta Give You a Shot in the Head for Making Me Live in this Dump for only $3 (along with a vinyl copy of OK Computer for $25). Released in 1999, their debut features their most popular song Goodnight Moon, which was featured in Kill Bill Volume 2. Led by Parsley Ambrosia, my favorite female vocalist, Shivaree makes music that sounds like a film noir soundtrack mixed into pop music. Their songs can be mysterious, gentle, and beautiful, dramatic, sinister, and dark, or bouncy, witty, and funky. Highlights of the album include Bossa Nova, I Don't Care, Goodnight Moon, Daring Lousy Guy, and Idiot Waltz.

Also be sure to check out I Close My Eyes (which I suggest that you buy the Breach EP version from iTunes because the album version on Youtube and Last.fm aren't as good) and Little Black Mess on Who's Got Trouble and Flycatcher on Rough Dreams.


Shivaree also has a new album entitled Tainted Love: Mating Calls and Fight Songs 
which is a collection of covers available for streaming here.
 http://www.last.fm/music/Shivaree






No comments: