Monday, July 6, 2009

Album Review: "Wilco (The Album)" by Wilco


I once said that I would never like a band that had the same name for their band, their album, and one of their songs. Well, Wilco proved me wrong. Wilco's newest album, Wilco (The Album) is another great release from the Chicago-based country-influenced alternative rock band. It was so good that it made me give another listen to their last album, Sky Blue Sky, which I, for the most part, had just passed over (which now I can see was undeserved). The album starts with Wilco (The Song), a quirky little number where Jeff Tweedy declares "Wilco will love you, baby." The lyrics sound like a commercial advertising the band, a comment on how bands must promote themselves and their music. The next track is Deeper Down which sounds a bit like a fuller fleshed-out take on the experimental sounds of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. "You And I" is a warm love song featuring Canadian singer-songwriter, Feist. Overall, Wilco (The Album) is filled with great, well-executed songs driven by lush instrumentation, great guitar work, interesting harmonies, and Tweedy's heartfelt vocals.

No comments: