Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Fratellis: Here We Stand


Tonight I give up my album-reviewing virginity with a look at Here We Stand by The Fratellis. Over the 6 or 7 months I had fallen in love with The Fratellis debut Costello Music. I delighted in its unabashed, youthful pub-rock sound and the catchy story-telling lyrics. It quickly made it on to the list of top albums (most heavily dominated by Radiohead) not because of its innovation or artistic merit, but simply because it was fun to listen to and had a lot of songs that I could enjoy again and again.

When I learned of The Fratellis' sophomore album I eagerly anticipated for of the same high-energy pub-rock from the British trio. However, I was disappointed but at the same time pleasantly surprised. On Here We Stand, the group makes an effort to move away from this sound for better or worse. They experiment with different guitar tones, sometimes opting for a heavier sound than is typical of their earlier work. More focus has been put on guitar riffs rather than just rhythm guitar. Guitar solos are longer and more frequent than on their previous album. Also notable is the use of piano in several of their songs and a broadened range of percussion.

Overall, they have a created a more diverse sound. Even though this shows the band's potential for growth, it also brought them close to music clichés in several songs, with predictable melodies and song structures. However, there are always a few surprises waiting around the corner, and The Fratellis have proven that they always have a few tricks up their sleeves.



Highlights:My Friend John, Baby Doll, Look Out Sunshine!, Milk & Money

Lowpoints: Jesus Stole My Baby, Straggler's Moon, A Heady Tale



Here's a link to the music video for their single Mistress Mable:

No comments: