Thursday, June 11, 2009

Album Review: "The Ecstatic" by Mos Def

While I was taking a shower this morning I found myself wondering "When is Mos Def going to release a new album?" Later, I logged into to iTunes to buy a couple Tom Waits tracks and I was surprised to see that Mos Def had released a new album two days ago. The Ecstatic is a solid rap record in which Mos Def sings and raps his way over an ever-changing soundscape. While 2004's The New Danger has a lot of hard-rock and blues influence, The Ecstatic encompasses a wide range of styles and influences which may be attributed to the fact that seven different producers worked on this album (excluding Mos Def). Overall, this album has better grooves and is it a bit more playful that his last release.

Listen to it suckas!

No comments: