Wednesday, December 2, 2009

BSO Bad Mo'Fo'

So last night I watched the Boston Symphony Orchestra perform. The program that I saw included Debussy's "Prelude a l'Apres-midi d'un faune", Stravinsky's ballet suite from The Firebird, and Brahm's Violin Concerto in D. Now, while all the pieces proved to be equally enjoyable in different ways, the violin concerto proved to be the highlight of the night. The reason for this was because I was able to witness the incredible playing of Joshua Bell, who was the guest soloist for the orchestra. Joshua Bell is an award-winning violinist and has been in the classical limelight since his debut at age 14. However, he is most well known in recent years for taking part in a social experiment where he played his violin in a busy subway. The result was that most people did not stop to listen to the world-class violinist.

Anyway, it's apparent that some people aren't impressed by his skills but I sure am, and I consider myself lucky that I was able to hear him play. After the program ended, he came back out and stage and played a virtuosic rendition of "Yankee Doodle" and it was really cool. Check this video of him doing it at the Hollywood Bowl. OMG left hand pizzicato.

P.S.
If Joshua Bell ever pulled a Final Fantasy it might just make my head explode.

No comments: