Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Top Videos of 2009

So it's nearing the end of the year and Oh My, '09! is almost ready for release. But since there's time between now and New Year's, I'd like to take this chance to go over my favorite music videos of 2009.

At the top of the list is "Spacious Thoughts" by NASA, featuring Kool Keith and Tom Waits. The animation for this music video is top notch, featuring vibrant splashes of color splayed violently over a gritty urban landscape.

The next video on my list, another animated video, is for "King Rat" by Modest Mouse. This video, directed by the late Heath Ledger, is composed of rough animatic animation. The video, which depicts a crew of whales hunting for humans in the ocean, is provocative but also extremely disturbing.

Next up is the video for "Cousins" by Vampire Weekend which is just a lot of fun to watch and, like the video for "Oxford Comma" seems to celebrate the band's love of film.

The last video I'd like to acknowledge is for "Oscar Wilde" by Company of Thieves. This quirky video, which was what originally drew me to Company of Thieves, is a homage to Wes Anderson's film, Rushmore.


No comments: